- VSR2 has to be dynamically stable in a number of conditions including a total main foil failure at 60 knots. She must remain stable when encountering either cavitation or ventilation of either foil.
- VSR2 was designed to be able to handle sailing loads over 60 knots including a 1G turn with a realistic safety margin.
- VSR2 has to be able to operate over 50 knots in winds from 20-30 knots and in much rougher water than the first boat.
- VSR2’s wing must be very easily managed and fully depower when the main sheet is eased. It must be able to feather when we tow the boat back up to the top of the course after each run so we don’t have to lower it each time.
- VSR2 must be able to carry two people at world record speeds with no reduction of safety margins.
- VSR2 must be highly configurable, modular and easily folded to fit in a 40’ container.
- VSR2 must have enough structural reserve to be easily upgraded for faster future attempts if necessary.